Re: Automating a combi boiler

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Automating a combi boiler
  • From: "mmcaree" <michaelj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:45:16 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

We have just switch over to Gas and have a Combi Boiler. I got the
installer to use a Honeywell Smartfit controller so I can interface
it to Comfort. It works very well indeed. The actuator to control
the hot water just opens and closes but since it is not connected to
any water supply it does not matter much. I use it only for heating
control. Away mode sets the house to 16, security off sets temp to
20 and night mode to 17 degrees.
Remember that you need power to the boiler at all times to make sure
you get hot water!

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Lidstone"
<patrick@l...>
wrote:
> --- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Brian G. Reynolds"
> <brian.g.reynolds@n...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently installed a new "Protherm 100EC" combi
and am
well
> pleased with it as I now have a shower!!!.
> >
> > Question is, can I connect an HV controlled relay to the
thermostat
> wires to automate it instead of a thermostat?
> >
> > Somehow I doubt it would be this easy but one lives in hope!
>
> Yes, it is this easy. You may want to consider installing a real
> thermostat as a backup, and then setting the set-point to a very
low
> temperature when using your automated control. Your automated
control
> and the thermostat should be wired to the boiler in parallel. You
> should also ensure that your relay is wired such that the contacts
> are left open under controller power-fail conditions, otherwise
you
> could end up cooking if something goes horribly wrong with your HV
> controller!
>
> The switching voltage for the thermostat depends on the boiler.
You
> may well need to use a mains rated relay/cable.
>
> > I assume a thermostat is just a bi-metallic switch of some sort?
>
> This is correct.
>
> > The manual shows a link that must be removed if a thermostat is
> fitted but that is all I can see.
>
> Not sure what else you were expecting.
>
> Patrick

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com