From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Ian Oliver
Sent: 15 March 2010 21:24
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [ukha_d] Acer Revo 3600's for =A3130 inc VAT

> Do you get the listings via XMLTV or via DVB-T? I couldn't get xmltv
working
> (although I have had it working on another box before so guess it was
an
> issue between channel numbers and names)

I use the on-air EIT data.

> Myth seemed to work OK until I replaced the onboard VGA with a fancy
nvidia
> 220 based board with HDMI output, I could get a perfect 1080p picture
but
no
> sound.

Audio over HDMI does seem to need quite a few things setting just right. I
use=20
VGA as HDMI overscans on my TVs.

> I have no reason to stay with Microsoft other than the fact that it
"just
> worked" whereas Myth took quite some time to get sorted

Hmmm, Linux/myth can be a fiddle, but Windows is rarely "just
worked" IME
and=20
frequently stops working for no good reason.

> needs to be simple and easy otherwise I'll get grief as the wife has
worked
> out W7 MC.

Our mythtv system is still new, but has quickly replaced the previous=20
PVR/geexbox system and is getting a *very* high WAF rating.

> Getting rid of the annoying windows update / reboot would be
> excellent though.

296 days uptime on my main media server. :-)

> Myth would be ideal and was the 1st choice, it just didn't work :(

I just took it in stages and ran the myth system in parallel for a while.

> One of my
> first Linux outings many many years ago was Debian, so the guts of
Mythbuntu
> did seem familiar.

The good thing about Ubuntu (and myth) is the copious and helpful=20
web/forum/email help.

Ian