Re: Question from a novice

Quoting Robert Jennings <robert@jennings.org>:

> Deepali,
>
> My feeling on this has been that you should use ducting. I haven't
> implemented this yet so would like advice from others on the list.
>
> If you use the right ducts then you can add cable of whatever type you
> need as you need it.
>
> Is this thinking correct ?

Theoretically correct  ..... In Practice - seriously flawed

A normal 20mm conduit has just enough room for 4 CAT5 cables but pulling
any
more than 3 gets difficult as they twist and jam against each other.

Trying to get another cable into an already populated conduit is extremely
difficult. The existing cables get in the way and there is a lot of
friction
>from
persuade the cable to travel down the conduit can lead to stress damage and
the
other cables can suffer friction burns to the sheath.

Trunking with a removeable lid is easier but you cant bury that in the wall
because you wouldnt be able to get the lid off again!!

Trunking along a wall is fine until you come to put the lid back on when
gravity does its best to stop you putting the lid on by making the cables
fall
out of the trunking.

For CAT5 the cable is REALLY CHEAP. Its terminating it that gets expensive.
Run
extra cables even if you dont terminate them at first. The difficult bit is
getting the cables in. Lots of time, lots of mess.

Pulling 4 cables takes about 10 seconds longer than pulling 1 cable ( the
extra
10 seconds is the time taken to pick up 3 extra cable ends and mark them.

Pulling 4 cables in at different times takes at least 4 times as long and
creates havoc.

Buy several boxes of cable and run multiple cables at once.

Run the long lengths first, that way the bits left at the end of the boxes
are
still useable for the shortest runs.

If you start with the shortest you end up with 24 metres of cable left for
your
26 metre run :-(

Hope that helps

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com