RE: Re: X10 / C-Bus for new build development

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: X10 / C-Bus for new build development
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:40:48 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

The other thing to think about too is that in practical terms X10 doesn't
pass through an RCD - most modern electrical installations are protected by
a main RCD which would tend to block any outgoing X10.

Of course if the lighting circuits aren't "on" the RCD (and
usually arent
given that you don't want to be plunged into darkness if you accidentally
drop the kettle in the sink) then you will probably find that you need a
coupler to get the X10 signals onto the lighting ring.

Phil

<iain@n...> wrote:
> > thanks for this, but the issue I'm looking at circumvents X10
> > filters on the mains feeds and I think also can't be managed by
> > House Codes
>
> The "range" of the X10 mains-bourne signal is limited by, in
the
> order they usually apply to an installation:
>
> a) Parallel (ie between L and N) capacitance from (for example)
> interference supression capacitor in power supplies.  Where present,
> these kill the X10 signal stone dead.
>
> b) Length of wiring - wiring has small amount of capacitance, and
> this attenuates the 120KHz signal over distance.
>
> c) Filters or transformers - 120KHz will not pass through or across
> these.
>
> In non-big-city USA, and in many other sparsely populated areas,
> each dwelling is fed by its own transformer, and this isolates one
> dweeling from another.  In the UK, it is rare for a house to have
> its own transformer, and thus X10 leakage between houses can occur,
> and given the much smaller electrical distances involved in flats,
> inter-house leakage is almost guaranteed.
>
> Although you say its difficult, if you are contemplating X10 at all
> in a block of flats, then filters are almost mandatory; they are DIN
> rail mount, rated at 63A, failrly cheap, and fit directly into the
> consumer unit, and can be fitted by a comissioning sparkie.
>
> There is not really any serious competition to X10 in price terms.
> However, with X10 (and this is a design feature of the X10 powerline
> control system) you get what you pay for, and although X10 has its
> place, I would not describe it as a reliable home automation
> system.  For my own horror story, see http://www.ukha-
> archive.com/archives/2003-may/msg00483.html
>
> Alternatively to X10, a "hard wired" system can be
considered.
> These are "better" than X10, but cost more.  The local
favorite here