Re: Wireless Broadband - The Alternative

> My lack of broadband is now causing severe mental health problems for
me.
The exchange is enabled, but I am 200M too far away!  And failed to get on
the BT extended range trial because my line is too noisy.

> Over New Year drinks I found a neighbour who can get BB and I proposed
him a wireless link in return for me paying his BB bills.  I think the
houses are 1000M apart (with buildings in between) has anyone got any
experience of doing this?  What are my chances?  Any pitfalls?
Recommendations for protocol & equipment?

The key thing with wireless is line of sight - can you see part of their
house from somewhere on yours ?

If so then that is where to site the antennas, suggest you look at
www.solwise.co.uk for these, they also sell some reasonable access points
too http://www.solwise.co.uk/wirelessaccesspoint.htm

If you want to have wireless in your house too then consider using the
WL-WAP-054G with Bridging and Repeater functionality.

The other key thing is cablling from the wireless bridge to the antenna -
this should have as low loss as you can afford - LMR400 is well regarded.

It may still be worth getting BT to try harder, tell them your line is
noisy
and you are having problems on voice and fax, when the engineer arrives
'encourage' him to check the line along its length, remaking the joints as
he goes.

Nick.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx