Re: OT: Exchange question

Ian Lowe wrote:

>>Pop3 collection is a sure fire way to have mail go missing because
the
>>recipient is not contained in the body of the email which is all
that

> is >stored when it reaches a mailbox.
>
> You say this every time POP3 collection comes up Richard (or at least,
> someone does) and I think you are overstating the problem!
>
> We use POP3 collection, and have done for years on Linux and on
Windows,
> and haven't lost a single message. The worst that has ever happened is
> that something gets dumped in my inbox (as admin) rather than directly
> to the user. And 99/100 that's a bit of spam that's got a malformed
> header anyway!

Well all I know is that a majority of the calls I get where people are
getting
missing email are running an internal mail server and are collecting via
pop3,
and the mail is generally list based stuff that has noone at there domain
name
in the body of the message. Changing them to smtp dequeueing solves the
problems.

Its not a problem with malformed header, its just that the body of the
message
did not have the recipiants email address in it, eg a BCC or a listserv.
You can
hope that the servers along the way add a recieved from xxxx for recipiant
blah@xxxxxxx but thats not a standard header, neither is the X-RCPT header
that is often added, and if you rely on those to parse the address out then
unless you have it in yout TOS with the ISP that they will be present then
it
will break when they change and you will have no comeback. Been on the ISP
end
of it several times and there is a reason that most isps will discourage
this
config.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx