Re: Kaleidescape movie server

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Kaleidescape movie server
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:58:43 -0000

Has anyone had a look at the AMX Max products. It does pretty much
the same thing as the Kaleidescape and intergrates with AMX touch
displays etc. I don't think it's cheaper than the Kaleidescape. My
previous knowledge of AMX is that it would cost a lot more!!

http://amx.com/max.asp

I have a lot of info on this, got a large PowerPoint presentation
with sound, aimed at dealers if anyone wants to have a look.
The (AMX) bought the technology with a company they purchased -
Media Access Solutions (I think) - it is based on Linux platform and
they offer dealers a 200 disk changer for DVD collection ripping via
a dedicated laptop. The Kaleidescape software looks a lot more slick
by what I have seen on the web site.

On "legal ripping" issue, I am very interested on the
developments
over "fair use" to allow consumers to rip for personal use
(effectively "backing up" your movies) - but the contention from
Macrovision is that is soon as you defeat any copy protection you
have broken the law (in the US) under DMCA (Digital Millennium
Copyright Act). Many legal experts seem to think that the law will
be trashed in the courts. There is an interesting discussion of this
on the cinemar forum.

http://www.caseserve.com/cinemar/forum.htm

I think AMX have a license to defeat CSS.

Here is a link to the support site for MAX products.

http://www.mediaaccesssolutions.com/support.htm

Cheers

Keyvan

> One question I did have about the Kaleidescape solution is how do
> they legally rip the DVDs to the server. Surely they need to
employ
> something to defeat the encryption (and possibly region protection
> and RCE etc) and I would have thought that is still dodgy ground.
> For us of course we are happy to use DVDDecrypter, but would that
be
> allowed in a commercial application?

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx