Re: Electronic Document Management Systems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Electronic Document Management Systems
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:31:25 -0000

Don,

I file everything on paper for a very simple reason - lenders like=20
originals.

If you are considering re-mortgaging, or BTLing, then I would=20
strongly recommend keeping paper originals the following:

- 2 years worth of mortgage statements
- 2 years worth of bank statements
- most recent utility bills
- most recent council tax

My personal best was when I had to send off 2 years worth of=20
originals to a lender for 4 properties, who then lost them :-o A=20
phone call along the lines of "fortunately, I got a receipt from
your=20
agent - there are 96 statemement there at a typical price per=20
duplicate original of =A325. I will therefore be issuing a small claims=20
proceeding against you for =A32,400 this afternoon." They found
them=20
with half an hour :-)

Realistically, these days, lenders will now accept "certified=20
copies", but that process means that someone, normally your broker,=20
has to have seen the originals, not just a reprint from an EDMS.

Whether this "won't accept EDMS reprints" is legally valid of not
is=20
a red herring - when you apply to a mortage company, you pretty much=20
have to follow their rules.

Regards,

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Don McAllister" <donmc@b...> wrote:
> Anyone taken the plunge in trying to implement a domestic EDMS. I'm=20
sitting
> in front of two heaps of bills, letters, invoices, receipts, etc=20
and I
> really should be filing them away. A simple but reliable system to=20
digitise
> and store the documents for easy retrieval shouldn't be that=20
difficult!
>=20
> Anyone any experiences they'd like to share or any recommendations?
>=20
> Cheers
> Don

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004