From: David Yeend [mailto:david.yeend@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 February 2004 10:14
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Cheap 40Gb HDD

I was interested but put off through past experience with 'low cost' drives
which raises a question I have been meaning to resolve for a while.......

I am sure one of you wizards will know the answer to this.......

I purchased a 'low cost' HDD from PC World a while back - a 40GB Western
Digital IIRC which allegedly was fully ATA/IDE compatible - the drive was
<
=A340. However it would not work on 3 motherboards I tried to use it with -
simply not recognised - jumpers correct, only drive on a single drive
cable...... I took it back to PC World and they put it in a machine and
demoed it working. Later I did find a machine that it worked in, nothing
particularly special about it though.

The chap who tested the HDD asked if the boards I tried to use it with were
old. When I checked the oldest was around 2 years, the most recently
produced board was around 1 year old. All of the boards were different
manufacturers, I did not check the BIOS or look for upgrades.

I expect I have been too vague but.....Does anyone know of any general
problems which may cause certain motherboards to be sensitive to certain
drives?

Regards,

David

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com <http://www.ukha2004.com>=20

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
<http://www.automatedhome.co.uk>=20=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20