RE: Cheap 40Gb HDD

I was interested but put off through past experience with 'low cost'
drives=
which raises a question I have been meaning to resolve for a while.......
=20
I am sure one of you wizards will know the answer to this.......
=20
I purchased a 'low cost' HDD from PC World a while back - a 40GB Western
Di=
gital IIRC which allegedly was fully ATA/IDE compatible - the drive was
< =
=A340. However it would not work on 3 motherboards I tried to use it with
-=
simply not recognised - jumpers correct, only drive on a single drive cabl=
e...... I took it back to PC World and they put it in a machine and demoed
=
it working. Later I did find a machine that it worked in, nothing
particula=
rly special about it though.
=20
The chap who tested the HDD asked if the boards I tried to use it with
were=
old. When I checked the oldest was around 2 years, the most recently produ=
ced board was around 1 year old. All of the boards were different
manufactu=
rers, I did not check the BIOS or look for upgrades.
=20
I expect I have been too vague but.....Does anyone know of any general
prob=
lems which may cause certain motherboards to be sensitive to certain
drives=
?
=20
Regards,