Re: [OT] Can i copy a Laptop hardrive over network ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Can i copy a Laptop hardrive over network ?
  • From: Ian Oliver <ioliver.lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:29:45 GMT

In article <GJECIFGAJGNIHIPMPOBLEELACAAA.dean@xxxxxxx>,
Dean
Barrett wrote:
> Can I use something like Norton Ghost or similar to copy a laptop
hardrive
> to a desktop PC so i can replace the Laptops drive and then copy back
> fully working OS and user files etc ?

drivesnapshot can do this easily and you can also download boot floppies
and
CDs that get you on the network.  It's commercial software but you get 30
days ...

We use it for backing up all of our workstations. It does 600meg a minute
over the network, only backs up used sectors, runs under DOS or Windows 2k/
XP (use your machine under windows as you do a backup), and the .exe is
only
130k!

You can specify the size of the backup files so you can get them on CDs.
Oh,
and you can mount a backup as a virtual drive if you ever need to just drag
the odd file or directory out of it. Excellent software - I'm a fan.

www.drivesnapshot.com

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx