Re: Led lights

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Led lights
  • From: "Rob Lamb" <rjl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:37:58 -0000

White LEDs are actually blue ones with a phospher coating much the
same as a hot cathode fluorescent tube. The UV produced by the blue
light 'excites' the phospher coating. Unfortunately it's fairly
difficult to acheive in a stable format and even more difficult to
produce an even colour temerature. We use white LEDs by the thousand
to illuminate our signage products and find 'white' LEDs come in
every colour from yellow to pink. By mixing and matching we can
produce an even 'white' colour.

Rob

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark Hallows <markhallows@xxxxxxx; wrote:
> Cool Ian
>
> Thanks for that.. i will now go and buy some... Just get a bit fed
up with
> getting ripped off normally.. If I had an IQ above double figures
I would
> ask you why white LED's are so hard to produce.. As it is I may not
> understand the answer and may feel even less smart than I do
already..

> Thanks
>
> Mark H...

dramatically
> easier to produce and therefore cheaper:
>
> When I worked in Craplins, Blue Leds had just appeared and white
was a
> "wouldn't it be nice".. the blue leds were nearly a tenner
each
whilst
> the reds were oh... about 10p each!
>
> White Leds, especially the ultra-bright ones are a big money item
> manufacture: it's going to be some time before we see them at
similar
> prices to the reds and oranges are just now.
>
> I.

Reds...
> Is
> there any reason for this other than to (as bloody always) rip off
the
> consumer ?
>
> Mark H.

___
> ___
> The information contained in this message is confidential and may
be
> legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not

> read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone
else.
> Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
> message from your system.
> Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the
author
> only.
> Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service
and
> for
> security and regulatory purposes.
> Thank you for your assistance.