From: nick@xxxxxxx
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:30 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] [OT] Any Cisco Knowledge Lurking here?

I have a couple of Squeezeboxes.  Like the rest of my network, they
live around a 12 port Cisco switch.  Whenever I upgrade the
Slimserver software, it has to "discover" the two Squeezeboxes
again.  This does not work.....

The workaround is to temporarily join up the Slimserver machine and
the two Squeezeboxes via a hub.  Slimserver then finds the boxes.  I
can then put all the cables back to the switch as they were before
and all is well (until the next time!).

I am completely Cisco-ignorant - it was ex-work and saved from the
skip, on the grounds that all the books say a switch is better than
a hub......

I can only assume that the thing is either blocking port 3483 on TCP
and/or UDP (might as well be Chinese for all that means to me).  I
think I have done a factory reset which, I think, means that the
thing should "just work".

Obviously not!  All pointers welcome!  Thanks.

Nick

PS - the obvious answer is to use the hub and link that to the
switch for access to the rest of the network.  Yes, probably, but I
like a challenge!