Re: Re: More Sky+ Grumbles

I would say it's the whole "dual resolution" broadcast fix. i.e.
they
simulcast (made up word by the industry) in both 4:3 (full screen) and 16:9
(widescreen) for terrestrial and sky respectively - therefore they had to
come up with a new format that is accepted by both. This was the birth of
14:9 format. it's an annoyance that we only have to live with until the
governemnt decide that widescreen is the standard for everything.

switching to NTL will not solve your "black line" problem, unless
there's
less viewable area on their broadcasts (which I doubt).

<<and their pic quality is WORSE than an aerial feed!>>

I have heard a rumour (and it's only that so don't sue me!) that some cable
operators apply a smaller bitrate to their output, therefore increasing
bandwidth, but lowering quality as such. as I don't have cable i cannot
confirm. this may only be channel specific though. Also have heard some
horror stories about customer support from unhappy cable users.

<<Lip synch is often a problem with plasma as the plasma takes extra
time to
decode and display the picture>>

I've also seen this problem. My Sony amp has a delay function on it. The
amp
cost me about #250 2 or 3 years ago. it can handle Dolby Digital and DTS.
(not sure what verion of DD it supports, don't think it's EX though).

<<but I was getting so fed up with SKY's quality >>

This interests me - I've never had a problem with Sky's quality - it make
me
wonder if it's specific geographic areas/weather/trees in the way as to
whether the quality is good or bad... I would also point out that different
channels have different bitrates on their feeds TO sky, so therefore some
channels will look crapper than others. certain channels actually go as low
as 2Mbps...Shocking!

HTH

Nick