Latest message you have seen: Re: Laptop battery replacement

RE: Advice Wanted - Comfort or Omni Pro --- Dynalite or C Bus

  • Subject: RE: Advice Wanted - Comfort or Omni Pro --- Dynalite or C Bus
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel.giddings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:56:05 +0100

David,

You didn't say whether this was your first foray into self-build or
whether you have had experience of this before... I'm in the middle of a
self build in the UK. I have been playing with HA in the existing house
for a couple of years and am now trying to apply to the new build. I'm
at phase where I'm getting nervous about the amount of time and effort
(and money?) that is needed to get the systems working together.

I like you used X10 but have decided to go the C-Bus route, this was not
because I preferred it to Dynalite, I was not aware of Dynalite at the
time of the decision.

My work to date has centred around Homeseer, it's not connected to C-Bus
just yet but the Demos I have seen are very impressive. I am a Homseer
fan, my system in my current home has an up time of nearly 200 days on a
win98 box. The last downtime was caused by me changing an IP address...
I may install comfort before the house is complete as I like the
interaction with the phone, gate opening, and security aspects but I
feel this may be possible in the future with the Asterisk VoIP PBX
application, again PC based...

One thing I have done is allow for easy cable replacement as my needs /
ideas change. I have also gone for second hand industrial strength
devices rather than new domestic grade, this can mean more time to
install though...

You may get some ideas from my gallery at http://photos.corbenic.co.uk

HTH

Nigel