Re: [OT] Anyone had experience with Cobalt Raq4i's?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Anyone had experience with Cobalt Raq4i's?
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:31:07 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@b...>
wrote:
> All working now

Excellent.  I really like raqs because for the common cases of web
serving, they just work, and the setup is easy.

> However, I cannot FTP into the box to update the website

errm - are you sure - if reverse DNS doesnt work right then it can
take 30secs or more to make the connection.  Also, you need to
enable FTP in the control panel.

> Oh, and advice on setting up email would be greatly appreciated!

Again, email is easy to set up, out of the box.  I dont use this
anymore, i use a "proper" mail server, but from memory and a
quick
look at the screens... But first a warning - user names have to be
unique across the box, not per domain.

Enable email in control panel.

Go into site management for each domain you want to have email users
for, ie use the spanner, and make sure "accept mail for domain"
is
ticked.

Now add user with the button.  The name you give them will be their
email address at the domain you are working on.  Thats it.  Except
for setting up MX records on your DNS, and forwarding port 25 to the
raq.

To retrieve mail via pop3, point a pop3 client at the box, amd use
the user id and password you assigned a moment ago.  Obviously, if
this is from outside your LAN you need to enable port forwarding for
POP3 as well, which is port 110.

And finally - make sure you configure "Smart Relay Host Name" for
your ISP - you are running this on a ADSL line, and most sane people
no longer accept mail directly from ADSL lines or dialups.

Finally, I've forgotten about how open relay protection works on
raqs, but its a really big issue that anyone running an email server
needs to sort out.  Once you've set it up, try an open realy tester,
and if you fail, shut down quick.