RE: Re: LED Fun Challenge

My approach would be to use a 'nice' processor (simply because of the
output ability) from the Atmel range (my favourites). The inputs from the
user going to the stairs would have to be quick so they don't start up or
down the stairs before the lights have started to light up. I would time
this allowing for a running person I think. Options like this could be set
using a set of dip switches though. You may also want the lights to have
different delays which is where a micro would score. If in system
programming ability was fitted the guy could update it as he got to know
his requirements through experience.

I would use transistors as these can switch the LED's silently and quickly
and will support up to 4 LED's (or maybe more) depending on current flow.
Correct use of watchdogs etc. would make the unit very reliable and sleep
mode could reduce power consumption.

It is possible that he would decide he only wants the lights to come on
during the day so some sort of light sensor or fancy lookup table to
define 'on' times for every day of the year would be needed. Suddenly
feature creep becomes something to consider not to mention budget and
time.

Most of these things require a PCB which is added cost and time.
Everything is possible, it just costs money at the end of the day if
someone else does it or time and potentially less money if you do it
yourself. The above proposal could apply equally to Rabbit, PIC or other
well endowed processors depending on your favourite.

If you take the traditional cheap and cheerful approach I think you will
be disappointed with the results. I especially think that clunking relays
is unacceptable for this application!!

Ian

Mark Hallows <markhallows@xxxxxxx>
04/08/2004 10:37