Re: Networking causing hair removal

  • Subject: Re: Networking causing hair removal
  • From: "seniorsimon" <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:34:11 -0000

Excellent, thanks for all this help.

I've followed all the instructions and gone down the LMHosts route.
The win2k is pro not server, and I haven't got the win2k install disk
handy to install wins.

Anyway, modifications made to hosts and lmhosts on both machines.
Only TCP/IP is now installed on both.

Both machines can now see each other, and see the shares!  I've
posted the results of nbstat here, to make sure everything is ok.

Machine 1 XP home
C:\>nbtstat -a simonlaptop

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.3] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
SIMONLAPTOP    <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMON1HOME     <00>  GROUP       Registered
SIMONLAPTOP    <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMONLAPTOP    <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMON          <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMON1HOME     <1E>  GROUP       Registered
SIMON1HOME     <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-09-5B-A2-C6-9A

Machine 2 Win2k pro laptop
C:\Documents and Settings\Simon>nbtstat -a jasper

Local Area Connection 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.2] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
JASPER         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMON1HOME     <00>  GROUP       Registered
JASPER         <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
SIMON1HOME     <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-90-99-10-88-28

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

How does all this look?

Thanks again for the help,

Simon

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...>
wrote:
> Ah, right, so you're already past that point then... :-)
>
> I stand by my earlier advice to remove those extra protocols
though, - the
> browsing functionality that you _do_ have, is most likely via
NetBEUI, but
> nonetheless, those extra protocols are more trouble than there
worth for
> troubleshooting purposes, since you'll never know if you've
actually fixed
> the problem thats stopping TCP/IP working properly...
>
> My next recommendation would be to sort out a NetBIOS name
resolution
> service... - Is the win2k machine Pro or server? - can you install
the WINS
> service on it? - do you have any other server machines on the LAN
that could
> run WINS? If you can run WINS then do so, and configure each client
to use
> it. In this case, ignore all the following bits about LMHOSTS
files....

> If no WINS, configure the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on each machine.
These are
> located in <Windows folder>\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC  If you haven't
set them up
> previously there will only be the sample template files in that
location
> called LMHOSTS.SAM and HOSTS.SAM - you can just edit these if you
want to, -
> they have a fair bit of useful information in them about how to
format the
> entries and so on... if you do that, remember to save the files as
just
> HOSTS and LMHOSTS (i.e. NO file extension). - If you use notepad
beware that
> it will automatically add a .TXT enxtension so you'll have to
manually
> rename them in explorer afterwards  - you may not even notice that
if you
> have the display of known file extensions turned off....  In each
file on
> each machine, make sure that at a minimum there is at least one
entry in
> there for the _other_ machine...
>
> Once that's done, make sure the option to use LMHOSTS files is
turned on on
> both machines. This is on the properties pages of the TCPIP
protocol, - go
> to advanced, then select the WINS tab. - Ensure the "Enable
LMHOSTS
lookup"
> is enabled. Also ensure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on as
well, -
> don't rely on the default setting which is to use the netBIOS
setting from
> the DHCP server, since it's unlikely that the DHCP server in your
router is
> providing that setting
>
> When thats all done, on each machine, open a command prompt ant
enter
> NBTSTAT -a <remote machine name>  (the case IS important on the
-a)
and post