RE: Re: Networking causing hair removal

  • Subject: RE: Re: Networking causing hair removal
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:38:12 +0100

Ah, right, so you're already past that point then... :-)

I stand by my earlier advice to remove those extra protocols though, - the
browsing functionality that you _do_ have, is most likely via NetBEUI, but
nonetheless, those extra protocols are more trouble than there worth for
troubleshooting purposes, since you'll never know if you've actually fixed
the problem thats stopping TCP/IP working properly...

My next recommendation would be to sort out a NetBIOS name resolution
service... - Is the win2k machine Pro or server? - can you install the WINS
service on it? - do you have any other server machines on the LAN that
could
run WINS? If you can run WINS then do so, and configure each client to use
it. In this case, ignore all the following bits about LMHOSTS files....

If no WINS, configure the HOSTS and LMHOSTS files on each machine. These
are
located in <Windows folder>\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC  If you haven't set
them up
previously there will only be the sample template files in that location
called LMHOSTS.SAM and HOSTS.SAM - you can just edit these if you want to,
-
they have a fair bit of useful information in them about how to format the
entries and so on... if you do that, remember to save the files as just
HOSTS and LMHOSTS (i.e. NO file extension). - If you use notepad beware
that
it will automatically add a .TXT enxtension so you'll have to manually
rename them in explorer afterwards  - you may not even notice that if you
have the display of known file extensions turned off....  In each file on
each machine, make sure that at a minimum there is at least one entry in
there for the _other_ machine...

Once that's done, make sure the option to use LMHOSTS files is turned on on
both machines. This is on the properties pages of the TCPIP protocol, - go
to advanced, then select the WINS tab. - Ensure the "Enable LMHOSTS
lookup"
is enabled. Also ensure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on as well, -
don't rely on the default setting which is to use the netBIOS setting from
the DHCP server, since it's unlikely that the DHCP server in your router is
providing that setting

When thats all done, on each machine, open a command prompt ant enter
NBTSTAT -a <remote machine name>  (the case IS important on the -a)
and post
the results back here..

And, as others have mentioned, make sure all firewalls are turned off on
both machines before doing anything!

Paul G.