From: matt_miles_uk [mailto:m_miles@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 April 2004 10:38
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Free alternative to Citrix/win2k for terminals

Hey all,

After FINALLY getting my newly aquired laptop (nowt special only
75Mhz with 8megs RAM and a tiny HD) I was debating the use of win2k
server for terminal services...

Upon browsing the internet for a spare 5 mins I noticed this website:

http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html

Apparently, this software does EVERYTHING that win2k and CitrixXP do
for free (as its open source)!  Its primarily designed for schools
but as its based on RedHat linux it seems quite easy to adapt.  The
basic principal is that you get a decent network of PC's that would
normally be binned to run all the latest software - remote MP3 and
video players anyone?  Oh, and the terminals remote boot (even
without BootROM chips) so no HD,CD, or floppy are needed!

Best bit is that the server doesn't have to be very powerful either!

Anyway, I'm just downloading the 4 CD's needed for an install so i'll
let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Matt

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha