Re: [OT] Cloning To Server

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Cloning To Server
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:20:41 +0100

In article <AEEFKMFFLBPADMLLNDJJIEDJEDAA.malcolm@xxxxxxx>, Malcolm
Surgenor wrote:
> Good to hear the restore's work smoothly. I always immediately try out
> restore with a new backup product having been caught out before with
some
> temperamental NTI software that I'd used for ages to backup and then
found I
> couldn't restore from due to some problem with the way it wrote to my
CDs.

Yup, an essential step that people often ignore. With drivesnapshot you get
high degree of confidence as you can mount the backup as a drive and browse
around it. But as I saw it's always done restores 100% in all of our tests.

> I think I'll stick with XXCLONE for just now though, it works for me
just
> now although I have a nagging doubt about trusting beta software with
the
> backups!

There are a fair few of these products around. I like the features and
speed
of drivesnapshot. I see that version 1.33 is out now (no release notes as
usual!) and I've mailed to ask if this addresses the very occasional blue
screen issues.

Regards

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire