RE: Advice on Plasma

Quoting Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>:

> Unfortunately Digital Terrestrial and Digital Satellite have given in
to the
> demand for more channels of mindless pap for the brain dead, Jerry
Springer
> loving masses and are cutting the bandwidth per channel so they can
squeeze
> ever greater numbers of channels of intelectually vaccuous anaesthetic
for
> the great unwashed into the available space.
>
> A good analogue terrestrial feed can still look truly stunning on a
decent
> TV however we're spending increasing amounts of money buying
increasingly
> sophisticated bundles of technology which are aimed at extracting more
from
> an increasingly shite source signal.

Yet they still sell Digital TV by saying it will give better pictures and
more
choice :-(

They promised that Digital TV would do for television what CD did for
music....
sadly what they have delivered is the 56K Real Audio equivalent.

The more choice, I foolishly thought, meant a wider coice of programs with
channels devoted to programs that didnt appeal to the masses.... wrong
again...
all channels trying to grab the biggest audience share to keep the
advertisers
happy means endless repeats of stuff that wasnt worth watching the first
time
around.

Look at how many music channels are on SKY now, there should be the
capability
to play so many different types of music but when you flick through them
you
find exactly the same video being shown on 3 or 4 channels.

To add insult to injury, when something really is a good program it will
never
be repeated and if due to some oversight you miss it then tough :-(

Taking Phil's point about analogue a step further, the picture quality on
the
German channels on Astra 1 was stunning compared to the videocrypt channels
from SKY.

Dont get me wrong... Digital TV CAN deliver superb pictures just as Digital
Audio can deliver superb sound and because they are digital they can be
much
more tolerant of interference that will render analogue signals useless...
but
only if you dont compress the hell out of them.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv