RE: Advice on Plasma

  • Subject: RE: Advice on Plasma
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:42:52 +0100

> Whilst searching for a decent projector/new tv I went to many
> hifi shops etc to test what they had.
>
> I found that the majority of bad pictures were due to the
> signal from digital broadcasts. i.e. those from sky.
>
> To me it seems like they have done the CD way of things taken
> out what they believe we cannot see and hear to reduce the
> bandwidth of the broadcast.
>
> I tried to watch football many times on Digital and in
> comparison to a normal analogue broadcast the picture quality
> was appalling one could hardly/not at all read the numbers on
> the shirts of the players when the camera zoomed out to show
> half the pitch.
>
> All the players appeared pixelated and blocky.
>
> Luckily I insisted on an analogue feed before I made my
> decision. At home I have an analogue reception and to be
> honest I dread the day when I have to change completely to
> digital. For me picture quality is of the utmost importance.
>
> But this was about 2 years ago ... has the quality improved
> since then?

Unfortunately Digital Terrestrial and Digital Satellite have given in to
the
demand for more channels of mindless pap for the brain dead, Jerry Springer
loving masses and are cutting the bandwidth per channel so they can squeeze
ever greater numbers of channels of intelectually vaccuous anaesthetic for
the great unwashed into the available space.

A good analogue terrestrial feed can still look truly stunning on a decent
TV however we're spending increasing amounts of money buying increasingly
sophisticated bundles of technology which are aimed at extracting more from
an increasingly shite source signal.

{Excuse me but I'm about to fall of this horse and it's a long way down.)

Phil