RE: Re: Cable & ADSL in one network

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Cable & ADSL in one network
  • From: "Dean Smith" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:28:42 +0100

How many PCs do you have ?. If both routers are up and active on the same
subnet then simply changing the default route on a PC from one to the other
will make sure your traffic uses your link of choice.

There are some things to be wary of though.

DNS: You need be able to get to your configured DNS servers through either
ISP.
Mail: As, above you need to be able to get to both your POP (inbound) and
SMTP (outbound) mail servers from either link to avoid extra config
changes.
The former is not usually a problem, the second is, though there are ways
round it. e.g. Authenticated SMTP login from your mail ISP. Freeserve
currently appears to transparently redirect all SMTP connections to its own
Mail servers which can be useful as its saves you re-configuring your end.

You can change the default route from a batch file so should be easy to
automate on a few PCs depending on OS.

Dean