Re: Cable & ADSL in one network

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable & ADSL in one network
  • From: "Derek Erb" <dce42@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:00:55 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Smith" <ukha@e...> wrote:

> How many PCs do you have ?

At the moment there are 7 not including the server.  Add to that 2
printers connected directly to the network and you've got 10
connections with 10 IP addresses but only 8 of which need to access
the Net.  Soon to be added include MP3 jukeboxes which will access
the internal net for their files but which may, in the near future,
also access the Internet to download more.  There will also be a few
webcams (probably Axis) connected directly to the internal net as of
the first weekend.  These probably will not need to access the net
but they will need to be accessed from the net.  The possibilities
are endless and I'm wiring for a lot of possibile evolution...

> If both routers are up and active on the same
> subnet then simply changing the default route on a PC from one to
the other
> will make sure your traffic uses your link of choice.

At the moment I admit taking the lazy route.  The current router
(SMC Barricade) acts as the DHCP server and automatically attributes
the DNS addresses and the default gateway address.  I don't have to
do anything {g}

However I have no problem in attributing fixed internal IP
addresses, DNS addresses and gateways on each station if need be...
But only if I'm going to gain something out of it.

> DNS: You need be able to get to your configured DNS servers
through either
> ISP.

That shouldn't be a problem as I can get their fixed DNS addresses
and use those.

> Mail: As, above you need to be able to get to both your POP
(inbound) and
> SMTP (outbound) mail servers from either link to avoid extra
config changes.

This definitely isn't a problem.  I never use my ISP mail servers
(POP or SMTP).  I use my mail servers in both directions whether at
home or while travelling.

> You can change the default route from a batch file so should be
easy to
> automate on a few PCs depending on OS.

You're the first of two to say this... can you give me the code you
use for this?