RE: PCMCIA WiFI card for Fuji 510...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: PCMCIA WiFI card for Fuji 510...
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:52:18 +0100

Andy,

I'm using an Orinoco Gold card, bought from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. The
card itself is Orinoco-branded and came in a PCI adaptor I bought and works
just fine under Win95. I also bought an Orinoco-advertised Gold PCMCIA card
from the same place and it turned out to be Proxim-branded. I can't get
this card to work with anything other than Win98SE, although I haven't
tried NT.

Both my cards are 16bit, 5V. The quick way to tell is to look for a
gold-coloured "bobbly-bit" on top of the cards near the PCMCIA
connector. If you have the "bobbly-bit" it's a 32bit card, if not
it's 16bit :-)

The cards were to be used as part of a work project so I bought Golds
instead of Silvers (those that many from the bulk buy use) as the Golds
support higher encryption. The Golds were also advertised as having a
connector for an external (e.g. wardriving) antenna ;-)

Not sure I should have bothered with the higher WEP as most of the access
points I've found with NetStumbler don't even have WEP enabled so I'm sure
there'd be easier pickings than my little project :-)

If you want to use NetStumbler, check out (IIRC) www.netstumbler.com for
which cards are supported and which aren't.

One more thing, both cards work great with the Linksys WAP11 (ver 2.2). The
Linksys is also very easy to set up - we'd done it in about 2 minutes :-))

HTH,

Tim H.

+