Re: Home intercom newbie question

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Home intercom newbie question
  • From: "Derek Erb" <dce42@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:45:39 -0000

Thank you for your rapid and detailed reply.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Calum Morrell <calum@d...> wrote:

> With DECT you need ONE phone socket, one base station and upto
around
> seven handsets. The handsets can talk to each other directly [via
the
> base station] or pick up an outside line. If you are on an
external
> call, you can transfer to another handset, ideal if you pick a
call for
> SWMBO in another room etc.

Aha... so each handset communicates with the base station and not
directly on the phone line?

If that's the case I'm going to hit distance limitations.  If the
base station's in the kitchen for example I'm not sure the handset
in my basement office will communicate with it wirelessly, same with
the handset in the garden or the one in the upstairs bedroom.  Add
to this the fact that I'll have an 802.11g WiFi network running may
cause interference.

Is this the only way that the DECT phones talk to each other
(wirelessly through the base station)?

What are the maximum distances?

PS:  What does SWMBO stand for?