Re: Re: Home intercom newbie question

Derek Erb wrote:

> I'm in pretty much the same situation as Howard (3 stories instead
> of 4) but relatively the same.
>
> I'm learning lots and lots here...
>
> If I understand correctly I can use DECT phones to talk to each
> other in the house?  I am going to have one phone line in the house
> with phone sockets in several rooms.  Will the DECT phones be able
> to speak to each other internally over that one phone line?  Will I
> be able to ring any given handset by some sort of code?  This really
> does sound like a dream come true for me as it solves a lot of
> problems without additional cabling...
>
> Following up on that then would be the more complicated question:
> can anyone recommend a simple system to link up the doorphone to the
> telephone?  I'd love for the doorphone to ring the internal phones,
> to be able to speak to the person at the door and open the door
> through the phones.  Do I have to go through something as expensive
> and complicated as Comfort for this or is there another option?
>
> This combination of DECT phones as a multi-directional internal
> intercom and a doorphone which works with the phone system would be
> really exciting for me as it would solve so much of my current
> worries...
>
> I am really looking forward to confirmation.  BTW if it will not
> work as I described above please be gentle with me... it's going to
> be a real baloon burster!

With DECT you need ONE phone socket, one base station and upto around
seven handsets. The handsets can talk to each other directly [via the
base station] or pick up an outside line. If you are on an external
call, you can transfer to another handset, ideal if you pick a call for
SWMBO in another room etc.

I've had 3 DECT systems over the last 7 years, 2 still in use [home and
business lines] with 3 handsets on the home line. It's fantastic, just
works. As with anything, watch the make/model you go for, the entry
level BT ones by Sagem are absoulte crap whereas the Siemens made ones
are pretty good.

I personally use a Philips Onis system for the house and Zenia for my
business. Very happy with both although the Zenia does have some nicer
features and a slightly easier to use menu.

Hope that helps.

--
Calum Morrell
www.drochaid.org