RE: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:53:51 +0100

Keefie,

10 years ago this would have mattered ... nowadays - to all practical
purposes - it doesn't.

All you need to do is to take reasonable steps to shock mount a drive (some
sort of compliant rubber mount) so that it's not firmly connected to the
cars bodywork and therefore being subjected to every bit of vibration and
they're then pretty much as reliable as you are going to get.

You can't protect against every eventuality - dropping a wheel into a deep
pothole is always going to generate huge forces and you'll never be able to
guard against that but, if you can, use 2.5" drives (they're designed
handle movement whilst operating better and they have less physial mass for
the shocks to affect).

I use a 3.5" 160Gb external HD hooked up to the lappy to play DVDs for
Demon
Spawn on long journeys and that's been fine just lobbed on the floor in the
back of the car...

Phil