Re: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]

>From my own experience I've found that SCSI hard drives start to
experience=
=20
significant failure rates only when the drive array chassis is reporting=20
temperatures of around 50 degrees C or above (we were having
intermittent=20
cooling issues in one of our server rooms), which means the drives were=20
probably significantly hotter. The steady state of around 40 degrees
they=20
seem to be fine. We run hundreds at that temperature 24/7 without issue,
an=
d=20
a lot of them are getting fairly old now.=20

On the other hard a load of 200Gb Maxtor IDE drives started to fail when
th=
ey=20
got over 40 degrees C. I don't know if that is a typical failure
temperatur=
e=20
as most of our IDE drives run much cooler, but those maxtors are hot
beasts=
.=20
Running them at 35 degrees they have no issues. So, in a car in all but
the=
=20
hottest summers day in this country shouldn't be an issue, assuming you=20
aren't leaving them running whilst the car is parked up and baking under
th=
e=20
sun.=20

As a point of reference Seagate states for their drives the following;

Operating Temperature (=B0C)  	 0 to 60
Nonoperating Temperature (=B0C)  	 70 to -40
Operating Shock (Gs) @ 2 msec  	 63
Non Operating Shock (Gs) @ 2 msec  	 350

(Barracuda 7200.7 range, 40 - 160 Gb)

Steven