Re: Hard Drive Orientation in a Car [LONG POST]

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 09:35, Keith Doxey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apologies for the long post but I have spent ages thinking about
> this...
>
> I have a question about the best orientation of a hard drive to
> provide maximum protection when mounted in a car.

I've tested a vertical, front-to-read mounted laptop harddisc, with foam
padding. Never noticed any probs, altho it does skip occasionally with
potholes, speed bumps etc.

Laptop drives are allegedly less susceptible, and designed to take higher
shocks.

I also have a couple of accelerometers sitting on the bench - the plan is
cache files from the disc to ram, but only when they detect periods of low
acceleration. The usual disclaimers apply (ie I'll prolly never get around
it, and if I do it won't work ;)

ant
--
/\/\