RE: Calling any electronics wizzards!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Calling any electronics wizzards!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:14:42 +0100

> A friend of mine has a basic Xantech set up. 2 receivers and 4
emitters
> linked through the Xantech amplified block 791-44. The problem is that
> his block went ....fiz, bang...for no apparent reason.
> I checked his PSU (regulated 12v 100ma.) with a volt meter (About the
> extent of my electronics skills.!!!) and it outputs 12v no problem.
> On closer inspection there is a large blue "thingy" on the
board that
> appears to be weeping "goooo". As I have absolutely no clue
as to what
> it is I have taken a picture which I've posted to the files area!
> Is it dead for ever? Can I replace the blue thingy? Would anything
else
> be wrong?
> The numbers on the blue thingy are 470uf, 16v, + or - 20%.

Yup ... popped capacitor.

This is why we now tell people to run Xantech blocks at 9v ... we had a
small number of blocks fail after being used on 12v. Seems to be no
reduction in efficiency running them at 9v.

Get back in touch with whoever supplied it (even if it is out of warranty)
and talk nicely to them ... if they won't exchange it then you could try
replacing the capacitor - shouldn't be a big job.

Phil