Waking the dead (UPS)

Folks,

I've got a an APC SmartUPS 1400 which I obtained 2nd hand about a year
ago. At the time it worked fine.
However, I took it out of commission about 9 months ago and when I tried
to put it back into action last week it's....well..dead as a doornail.

It won't even pass through power - never mind supply power from battery
source.

A bit of reading and googling has told me that the SmartUPS won't supply
power if the battery does not have sufficient charge in order to operate
when the power goes down - so I've left it plugged in for over a week
now.

But to no avail.

I wondering if the battery is in some kind of deep discharge state ??
Such that it won't accept recharge ??
Can I get it recharge some other way ?? Anyone ??

Otherwise I'll need to go and buy new batteries for it....poo
pah...money I'd rather spent on toys.

Cheers,
Rob