From: Simon Coates [mailto:ecolume@xxxxxxx]=20
Sent: 03 September 2003 20:18
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Hacking Sky+

Paul,

Adding a 120Gb hard disk to Sky+ is extremely easy!  I recommend that you
d=
it ASAP.  Just make sure you have some tamper-resistant torx bits - the
tor=
bits with a hole in the middle.  Just swap the hard disk, put everything
back together.  When you power up the box wait a minute or so after
pluggin=
it in, then turn on the box and do a full system reset.  The box will say
'Housekeeping' for a while as it recognises the new disk.
You then have 3 times the original storage capacity.  Pages and pages of
recordings!
The only 'bug' is that the % remaining is always wrong.  It's odd - it
starts at approx 25% then goes down to 1% then up to 36% etc....  However,
the bar graph at the top of the planner works fine - and short programmes
are indicated by very, very thin lines :o)

One small downside is that larger disks tend to be a bit noisier, so be
careful on what you get.  I used Maxtor DiamondMax 16 hard disks which are
only slightly noisier that the original Sky+ Maxtor disks.

Regarding hacking an ethernet connection - I've not heard of anything.  The
box is capable of taking one.  There's 2 digital PC card type expansion
slots - however Pace have said that Sky isn't interested in using all of
th=
boxes capabilities.  Also Pace said that the RS232 connection is used for
factory setup and can't be used to control the box :o(

Regards

Simon