Re: ADSL for me!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: ADSL for me!
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:59:55 -0000

Thanks for the comments guys, you have pretty much confirmed my fears=20
that there is no real 'upgrade' path.  Getting rid of isdn would save=20
me a lot of money, but only if I was willing to lose the=20
functionality. If I needed to retain 3 external phone numbers and=20
caller ID and two simultaneous phone calls etc etc then the price=20
soon mounts up for a non-isdn solution.

I spoke to BT today and the cost of a new line for adsl (so I can=20
keep my isdn) is =A399 install plus =A341.15 per quarter line rental. I=20
currently pay =A315 per month for my fixed rate connection so the=20
savings on that will cancel out the line rental fee.

So, at the end of the day I simply need to view adsl as an additional=20
expense of whatever the contract cost is plus the =A399 and weigh that=20
up in terms of faster internet and always on connection. Looking at=20
it like that it doesn't actually seem so attractive :-( I have fast=20
internet at work if I need to do a big download, I don't play any=20
online games and I am almost certain that any port I open to the=20
outside world will be blocked by my employer's firewall so preventing=20
me from using it >:(

I think I was almost happier moaning about not having the option ;-)