Re: Re: ADSL for me!

Quoting Rob Lamb <rjl@xxxxxxx>:
> will have an always on route into my home network, but I am really
> loathe to lose my home, business and fax numbers as many people
> have
> them. I don't really want to buy a fax machine, but I have no
> analogue modem so how would I retain my ability to send and
> receive
> faxes.

Not really ideal because you still have to change your numbers, but it
might be
acceptable:
You could use one of those services (eg www.dmclub.net) that give you
special
07005 type numbers.
I have one which is my fax number, and converts all incoming faxes to email
and
sends it to my inbox.
Another is my roaming contact number, which can be directed to my mobile or
home number for example, or a virtual answering machine which emails me the
voice message.
Works reasonably well.  I don't need to worry about sending faxes, since I
simply don't do that kinda thing, but there are image to fax gateways out
there, or just get a modem (one that supports callerid if you can find it)
and
use that for sending faxes.

> > ID around the network, do I have to buy a Meteor box too?

Not if you can find a modem that does CLID :)

HTH,

Tony.