Re: UKHA 2003 Internet Connection

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: UKHA 2003 Internet Connection
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 20:00:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dean Smith" <ukha@e...> wrote:
> Dial *into* the hotel (Spare PC with a Modem setup for RAS or
similair?)
> from someone friendly with a decent connection. Would at least
reduce it to
> a "normal" phone call rather than a "hotel* call.
>
> You would of course only get a 32Kish connection at best :-(

Unless one end is a digital connection, using, for example, a Courier
I-Modem, in which case something close to normal connection speed
should be available.

I have such a beast, with a terminal server to drive it, that can do
dial back entirely satisfactorally, but have lost the ISDN cable.
This I found out when trying to connect it back up so I could dial
into the office whilst elsewhere a couple of weeks ago.  A
replacement cable has been ordered, and if it all works again I'll
formally offer this service, if nother else has materialised.

However, 4p a minute on 0800 would probably still be cheaper in call
cost terms, and should guarantee high speed connect.

David