Re: Options for central audio and lighting

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Options for central audio and lighting
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:22:15 -0000

Duncan,

Welcome.

Let me introduce myself. I'm a long-term HA hobbyist (since 1997),
who's been approached by a few people in the last 6 months and asked
to consult on a number of projects commercially. Note that I'm NOT
looking for you to offer to give me a contract :-)

I'm writing a White Paper introducing HA systems and joining them up
that may be of interest. It's aimed at self-builders and developers :-
)

If you want to read it through, I'd really appreciate your
feedback...

You'll see that it's not anything like finished (and the diagrams
need re-doing), but does talk about Audio, Lighting and Networking.

The subject is HUGE, and the paper only provides a very sketchy
outline. You'll find hugely more detail at Mark McCall's
www.automatedhome.co.uk

You'll find my paper at http://www.ascentium.co.uk/HA

Regards,

Mark Harrison

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "dunc2build" <dpoxon@c...> wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie to HA but I need to climb the learning curve
> fast!
>
> I'm about to build a new house and want to future proof it as much
as
> possible. My thoughts so far are to include:
>
> 1. Network to all/most rooms for PCs, printers etc.
> 2. Home cinema and hi fi audio in the lounge
> 3. Distributed audio (radio and CD/mp3 initially) around the house
> (assume 4 rooms)
> 4. Automated lighting - not thought about this much yet
>
> I have a few initial questions.............
>
> 1. Can I forget about about wireless systems for all the above? I'm
> assuming that the technology isn't up to it yet, especially for
audio.
> 2. Can you point me towards any good sources of information on
> cabling, especially with future proofing in mind?
> 3. Any recommendations on central audio systems - I've looked at
Opus
> and Russound but they seem expensive for what you get? Any good
> dealers to talk to? I also like the idea of hard disk systems - any
> views?
> 4. Is X10 up to the job for lighting control? I've heard stories
> about slow speed, over heating and reliability (fuses?) problems.
Is

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx