Re: Re: Options for central audio and lighting

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: Options for central audio and lighting
  • From: "Duncan J Poxon" <dpoxon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 13:49:11 +0000

Mark,

Thanks v much for this. Following a thorough read, I'll get back to you
with some comments but it is a great intro for someone in my position. I'm
already thinking of re-jigging my house plans to cater for a bigger node
zero than before. Another surprise is how much cat 5 that I will need but
it is so easy to run at first fix, I'd be mad not to over cable just in
case.

I'm really interested in the networked mp3 players. Can you point me
towards somewhere to get more info on the four that you mention? I'm also
intrigued whether the audio quality is up to the job - what do they use for
amplification? Also, how do you control them, because I like the wall
controllers that companies like Opus use (ie a wall controller and an ir
point for remote control) but as you know, very expensive.

Duncan.

=
=
=20
"mark_harrison_u                                     =
=
=20
k2" <mph                 To:      ukha_d@yahoogroups.=
com                                                   =
=20
@ascentium.co.uk         cc:                         =
=
=20
>                        Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Option=
s for central audio and lighting                      =
=20
=
=
=20
06/03/2003 10:22                                     =
=
=20
Please respond                                       =
=
=20
to ukha_d                                            =
=
=20
=
=
=20
=
=
=20

Duncan,

Welcome.

Let me introduce myself. I'm a long-term HA hobbyist (since 1997),
who's been approached by a few people in the last 6 months and asked
to consult on a number of projects commercially. Note that I'm NOT
looking for you to offer to give me a contract :-)

I'm writing a White Paper introducing HA systems and joining them up
that may be of interest. It's aimed at self-builders and developers :-
)

If you want to read it through, I'd really appreciate your
feedback...

You'll see that it's not anything like finished (and the diagrams
need re-doing), but does talk about Audio, Lighting and Networking.

The subject is HUGE, and the paper only provides a very sketchy
outline. You'll find hugely more detail at Mark McCall's
www.automatedhome.co.uk

You'll find my paper at http://www.ascentium.co.uk/HA

Regards,

Mark Harrison

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "dunc2build" <dpoxon@c...> wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie to HA but I need to climb the learning curve
> fast!
>
> I'm about to build a new house and want to future proof it as much
as
> possible. My thoughts so far are to include:
>
> 1. Network to all/most rooms for PCs, printers etc.
> 2. Home cinema and hi fi audio in the lounge
> 3. Distributed audio (radio and CD/mp3 initially) around the house
> (assume 4 rooms)
> 4. Automated lighting - not thought about this much yet
>
> I have a few initial questions.............
>
> 1. Can I forget about about wireless systems for all the above? I'm
> assuming that the technology isn't up to it yet, especially for
audio.
> 2. Can you point me towards any good sources of information on
> cabling, especially with future proofing in mind?
> 3. Any recommendations on central audio systems - I've looked at
Opus
> and Russound but they seem expensive for what you get? Any good
> dealers to talk to? I also like the idea of hard disk systems - any
> views?
> 4. Is X10 up to the job for lighting control? I've heard stories
> about slow speed, over heating and reliability (fuses?) problems.
Is
> Lutron the way to go=A0 - again very expensive!!
>
> Duncan.

=
=20