From: dunc2build [mailto:dpoxon@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 March 2003 10:08
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Options for central audio and lighting

I'm a complete newbie to HA but I need to climb the learning curve
fast!

I'm about to build a new house and want to future proof it as much as
possible. My thoughts so far are to include:

1. Network to all/most rooms for PCs, printers etc.
2. Home cinema and hi fi audio in the lounge
3. Distributed audio (radio and CD/mp3 initially) around the house
(assume 4 rooms)
4. Automated lighting - not thought about this much yet

I have a few initial questions.............

1. Can I forget about about wireless systems for all the above? I'm
assuming that the technology isn't up to it yet, especially for audio. 2.
Can you point me towards any good sources of information on
cabling, especially with future proofing in mind?
3. Any recommendations on central audio systems - I've looked at Opus
and Russound but they seem expensive for what you get? Any good
dealers to talk to? I also like the idea of hard disk systems - any
views?
4. Is X10 up to the job for lighting control? I've heard stories
about slow speed, over heating and reliability (fuses?) problems. Is
Lutron the way to go  - again very expensive!!

Duncan.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx