Re: Another Newbie !!

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 08:53, mhctaylor wrote:
> My first task is lighting for the room. So far it looks like it will
> be MV halogen x 6 and obviously I would like to be able to control
> these by IR and/or RF, start using occupancy simulation when away etc
> etc. I will also like to set up IR routing so that I can hide away
> the AV kit but have IR pickups in this and another room - probably
> best to stick to lights for this post!
>
> So do I go X10 or Cbus seems to be one of the current hot topics and
> haven't a clue about the Clipsal stuff except that i love the
> switches! So if my requirement is single lighting circuit in a room
> for MV down lighters, usable switch (preferably as a min the
> current 'normal' switch), IR control, dimming/scenes etc, what do I
> need to do??

You're right, there has been much discussion over the past couple of
months on the pro's & con's of both systems, and I'm sorry to say that
can't help you :-) I have neither CBus or X10 in my new gaff (well, I do
have X10, but they're not plugged in)

I fear perhaps you may have left it too late to implement either, as the
timescales involved in planning (and learning) either system may not go
down too well with SWMBO. From what I understand, the course for CBus
costs a fair bit too (though you do get free kit with that, and it may
be all you need for your single room project)

Perhaps someone might be able to suggest something you can do to
implement either system at a later date? Perhaps you can at least get
the wiring in place, as anyone will tell you, it's dirt cheap to fit
wiring when the rooms in peices, but will cost 3x as much in time &
effort once the room is finished.

--
Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>

On a child's superman costume: "Wearing of this garment does not
enable you to fly."