Another Newbie !!

Firstly a couple of apologies - 1. This is my first post (bar the
intro) and 2. I am going to cover ground recently discussed in one
way shape or form but given the activity on here that could probably
be said about almost anything :-)

I have had 1 external lamp module and a CM12 programmed with whatever
eval versions of software I could get hold of and have been playing
for a while. I am now decorating my front room (AV suite to me but
lounge to SWMBO) and would like to start down the path of HA. Now
having spent the last few weeks on the list and scanning various
content my head is spinning so easiest thing to do is...get to the
point I hear you say.....so.......

My first task is lighting for the room. So far it looks like it will
be MV halogen x 6 and obviously I would like to be able to control
these by IR and/or RF, start using occupancy simulation when away etc
etc. I will also like to set up IR routing so that I can hide away
the AV kit but have IR pickups in this and another room - probably
best to stick to lights for this post!

So do I go X10 or Cbus seems to be one of the current hot topics and
haven't a clue about the Clipsal stuff except that i love the
switches! So if my requirement is single lighting circuit in a room
for MV down lighters, usable switch (preferably as a min the
current 'normal' switch), IR control, dimming/scenes etc, what do I
need to do??

Many thanks in anticipation

Mark