Re: Re: Newbie - controlling lights and creating scenes(Ocelot?)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: Newbie - controlling lights and creating scenes(Ocelot?)
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 00:40:41 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, hholohan2000 wrote:

> Gosh, look what I started...

I hope you have enjoyed the show that we have put on especially for you.

In view of Doogie's comprehensive answers to your questions, I shall only
add additional information where appropriate.

> 1) If I have table/standard plug-in lamps, the only way I am going to
> be able to dim them via X10 is to use a plug-in lamp module. (socket
> rockets aren't dimmable as far as I can tell.) Is that correct? Is
> there no other way? I just don't consider those plug-in modules
> acceptable.

The plug-in type of X-10 modules are the quickest to deploy. If their
appearance is an issue, they sometimes can be hidden from view by creative
arrangement of furniture to hide them from view. If adequate space is
available inside the lamp units, your might like to consider the
LM12W/AM12W inline modules or the newer but more expensive MicroModules.

> * Plug-in lamp modules don't seem as reliable as other X10 receivers
> and are simply not pleasing to look at.

Plug-in modules are as reliable (or unreliable, depending on your point of
view) as wire-in modules.

> * inline receiver modules work better but are fused, and so can't be
> easily concealed (in case of fuse replacement)

The AM12W and LM12W inline modules are not fused. They are essentially the
same as their plug-in equivalents but without the plug and socket part.

> * DIN rail modules can't be used to control small areas without major
> rewiring

No, DIN rail can also be used as inline modules if space and safety allow.

> * bayonet plugs don't dim

Yes.

> * micromodule receivers (i.e. AW12) is an appliance module and so
> won't dim (The AWM2 is a transmitter, isn't it)

No, AW12 is the Wall Switch Appliance Module. I believe you meant AWM2 as
appliance MicroModule. As an appliance module, the AWM2 does not have
dimming functions but does have transmit capability. The TMD4 MicroModule
is purely a transmitter with no on/off or dimming capability. Currently,
there is no MicroModule with actual dimming.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.