Re: Re: Newbie - controlling lights and creating scenes(Ocelot?)

hholohan2000 wrote:

>1) If I have table/standard plug-in lamps, the only way I am going to
>be able to dim them via X10 is to use a plug-in lamp module. (socket
>rockets aren't dimmable as far as I can tell.) Is that correct? Is
>there no other way? I just don't consider those plug-in modules
>acceptable.

There is another way..... if you follow Ken's guide
http://www.funkycool.co.uk/howto1.htm
you can easily use an LD11 as a
"lamp module" - this supports more features and you can look at
something along the lines of stashing the LD11 in the base of the lamp,
or concealing it somewhere, just remember you need easy access for when
you need to replace the fuse.

>2) My ceiling lights downstairs are all on one circuit. Presumably to
>use DIN rail modules, I'd have to find a way of separating each room
>in order to use X10 to control them separately? That sounds pretty
>difficult if not impossible and would definitely require rewiring.

Yup, this will require either a re-wire in a star configuration, or
there's the option of siting the LD11 in the ceiling area as long as you
can get relatively easy access from the floorboards/ attic above, you
can then change the light switch for a momentary one and re-assign the
wires.... theres been some talk and more detailed description of that
previously, if that scenario would fit in with your plans then I can dig
out who said what and where from www.ukha-archive.com

>Just as a side issue, I was looking at other technologies in a shop
>yesterday and came across an RF dimmer that splices into a lamp
>cable. This particular one was a smart little black unit made by Gira
>and is intended for use with Loewe TVs. I thought they were a great
>idea and couldn't help thinking - Why isn't there an X10 version of
>this for lamps.. or perhaps combined with RF capability.

You can do it with X10 (not sure exactly what the one you've seen looks
like) ... .it might be less attractive, but will offer more in the way
of features.  I started down the X10 road 4 or 5 years ago because I
wanted to have control of the ceiling light in my bedroom from bed and
control of my living room lighting when I was putting a film on. I
initially looked at the IR dimmers that Argos/ B&Q etc sell, but then
spoke to Mark via email and he explained that while that solution might
fit the immediate need to control those lights, there was no
upgradeability.... now that I've gone X10, I can control something from
an RF remote, an RF PIR, an IR remote control, PC, wired controller.

I am now looking at C-BUS and other solutions for other projects which
will be mainly at the first fix stage of building, but I know I'm not
going to do any major re-wiring in my current place anytime soon, so X10
is the solution that currently fits for me. I've replaced all light
switches with LW10U s and one switch with an LW11G thanks to Ken and the
weird wiring that I currently have...... they're not particularly
attractive, but they give me features that I can't have from a
"normal"
light switch at a decent price point.

--
Doogie