Re: Hosting multiple internal web servers behind a single IP

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Hosting multiple internal web servers behind a single IP
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:41:08 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dan" <dtoma@f...> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Please let me comment your startements:
> > Actually, using different ports is a bad idea.
> >
> > A good number of UKHAers work for employers / clients where
internet
> > access is limited to port 80.
> Usually is limited to HTTP, but HTTP can be on another port too.
> So... even a Proxy/Firewall server is used then you can acces other
ports
> like:
> http://server.site.com:81 for
example.

Dan,

Yes, you can do that ...

BUT

... a large number of large companies that set up their firewalls to
allow port 80 access only.

I am happy to believe that you can access a wide range of ports from
YOUR office... I just wish that I had a similar set of firewall rules
on my clients' firewalls.

If you run http over port 81, a large number of companies will simply
not allow you to access it from the office.

The relevance to PAT? If you have a single IP address, then you
obviously need a router/firewall capable of sending different port
addressing to different internal machines. Router/firewall vendors
tend to call this "PAT" these days, to distinguish it from NAT.

You and I know that PAT is simply a special case of NAT, but, heh,
it's a term that seems to be growing in usage, so let's go with the
flow and use it.

Regards,

Mark