Re: Ethernet splitter

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Ethernet splitter
  • From: "Ewen Cameron" <ewenjc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:28:37 -0000

I'm using two pairs to open and close roof vents via relays
controlled by Comfort.  The other two pairs are ethernet for a DDAR.
By using the splitter the wiring is kept more generic - I currently
have the relays hard wired.

Will ethernet be ok alongside the 12v for the relays?  I'm not
opening and shutting them all the time so it's probably not a problem.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> Hi Ewan,
>
> what you have bought is a CAT5 Doubler similar to a Telephone
doubler where
> all pins appear on both sockets.
>
> That is something I searched high and low for before Maplin started
selling
> them so that I could daisychain KAT5 units.
>
> What you were obviously trying to buy was what most other people
sell, a
> CAT5 splitter. Ethernet only uses pairs 2&3 so the splitters take
pairs 2&3
> from the plug to pairs 2&3 of the first socket. They then take
pairs 1&4
> from the plug and connect them to pairs 2&3 of the second socket.
You can
> only ever use these on devices that are connected using the
ethernet pairs
> as any other pins on the sockets dont go anywhere!
>
> If your "toys" both use ethernet to connect up then why not
buy a
cheap hub
> and have the ability to have multiple "toys" at your chosen
location.

> Keith
>
> www.diyha.co.uk
> www.kat5.tv

I'd use
> > a splitter as
> > both "toys" only require 2 pairs.  When I dismantled
the
> > "TP727 Network
> > double adaptor" it has all wires doubled.  I have no idea
how
> > anyone would
> > use one as it allows for two network connections as long as
> > only one PC is
> > on at a time?!  Although it is not what I wanted I can easily
> > re-wire it as
> > a splitter.
> >
> > Which pairs / pins does ethernet use?  I need some of Keith's
> > famous ASCII
> > art.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ewen

> > This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs
Email