RE: Ethernet splitter

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Ethernet splitter
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:31:25 +0100

Hi Ewan,

what you have bought is a CAT5 Doubler similar to a Telephone doubler where
all pins appear on both sockets.

That is something I searched high and low for before Maplin started selling
them so that I could daisychain KAT5 units.

What you were obviously trying to buy was what most other people sell, a
CAT5 splitter. Ethernet only uses pairs 2&3 so the splitters take pairs
2&3
>from
>from
only ever use these on devices that are connected using the ethernet pairs
as any other pins on the sockets dont go anywhere!

If your "toys" both use ethernet to connect up then why not buy a
cheap hub
and have the ability to have multiple "toys" at your chosen
location.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv