RE: Spiders vs. PIR sensors?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Spiders vs. PIR sensors?
  • From: "Paul" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:10:54 +0100

One of the most important things is to make sure the PIR is COMPLETELY
sealed. I found out recently how invasive storm bugs (thrips) can be,
getting into all my 20 or so PIR's through tiny gaps in the housing. They
were then setting off the sensor just by walking across the sensor (and
they're only 1mm in length). I found at least 5-6 in each PIR!

Don't know how likely a spider outside the sensor would set it off - I
guess if you've got tarantulas, it'd be pretty likely ;) I suggest talking
to the PIR manufacturer - they normally have good info and many have tested
their sensors with bugs.

Paul.