A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: A Comets Tail :) (its a bit long)
  • From: "wayne" <wayne@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:33:24 +0100

Hi,=20
Just thought I would share this with you after a recent visit to my local
C=
omet Store. I needed some longer phono leads to hook my TV into the hifi
af=
ter some re-arrangement of furniture in the lounge so off I popped.

Now, I must admit that I am no audio expert and, to be honist, the
equipmen=
t I have does what I need it to and is not top of the range audiophile
stuf=
f here, although I do note that the 'supplied in the box' speaker cable
and=
your 'cheap as chips'  leads are crap so I usualy go for somthing a little=
better (OFC, gold plate connectors etc) anyway...

It would appear that Comet are getting very big into the 'Monster' brand
of=
leads and accessories (power filter blocks etc). There was a display set u=
p using a sony wide screen tv, a couple of 'proline?' dvd players (the
chea=
p looking sub =A380) demonstrating how good the 'Monster' scart leads are.
=
Everything was plugged into a 'Monster' power block, one of the dvd
players=
was connected using a 'cheap and cheerfull' scart lead, the other with the=
'Monster'. The TV was displaying a 'picture BY picture' of the new Harry P=
otter.

When I first got there, I overheard one of the sales guys 'giving the
bull'=
to an elderly couple on these wonderfull leads and how good the 'Monster' =
stuff is. He went on to show them round the tv and how both of the dvd
play=
ers were hooked up with each of these leads - even explaned the cable
sampl=
e to show how thick the cable used in these leads are. All pritty
impressiv=
e.

After they had gone there seperate ways (and I had got my non monster
leads=
) I went back to the display to interagate it further.
Yes everything appeard to be connected as this guy had explaned, two
differ=
ent sets of leads bler bler bler. Then I stood back and watched a bit of
th=
e movie, Mmmm... one of these 'side by side' pictures were a bit wishy
wash=
y, blacks were grey and so on, the other was as crisp you would expect it
t=
o be. Then I started to study a bit more, each of these displays -
consider=
ing that they were from two different dvd players - were PERFECTLY in
sync!=
A mean feat indead trying to get both to play at exactly the same time. Ev=
en to the degree that the audio was perfectly aligned - but ah they could
h=
ave muted one - ok then. These dvd players had no display on the front at
a=
ll - non of the usual 'animated led spinning dsk' that you seem to get
ever=
ywhere. Out of curiocity, I reached down and hit STOP on one of the
players=
, NOTHING HAPPEND, Diddly, Nada, Nowt! Now this was this was supposed to
be=
the crappy picture on the bad cable. So - as you may have guessed - after =
pressing the stop button on the other player BOTH pictures went off - so
mu=
ch for the dual display! As I couldnt get to eject the disk (alarm sensors
=
on the draws) I could only assume that this was a definate fixed disk,
Nice=
try Comet but stick your Cigar up your ass I think!=20

I had to smile at the assistant when I went to pay for my lead when she
sta=
rted to rattle that 'for just a bit more you can have these much better
lea=
ds' - 'No thanks - this ones fine I've used these before they work fine
for=
me' I replyed.

The moral of this tale - well, I dont ever listen to the sales guys anyway
=
- thier too easily confused and there is sooo much 'BS' - and I realy dont
=
know if 'Monster' are any good anyways but I WONT be buying them unless I
f=
ind a more reliable source (eg you guys here!).=20

Like I said before I dont use the 'out of the box' leads at all, but would
=
be curious if there IS any noticable differance in the leads you can buy.
-=
oh nothing is over the ordinary length here about 1.5m which is about your=
standard 'box under the telly' config. And, from thier demo - if the sourc=
e is crap then it doesnt matter WHAT leads you use - it wont get any
better=
! so those cheapy dvd players....

If any of you want to cause trouble - you know what to do! - just wait
till=
theres a crowd around you as you start pulling plugs and shouting SCAM!

Hope your still awake!
Wayne.