Re: Family Friendly Media PC

Hi Wayne

I had the same problem and having done a bit of playing around with a
selection of programes, the best solution by far is myHTPC!!
(http://www.myhtpc.net)

I've got my HTPC (server) in the attic and I feed Mp3's, images and
enev DVD's over Cat5 (via an AvStar system) to all the TV's in the
house. The inverface is easily read from a distance and can be
customised to suit your needs.

Mp3's and DVD's can be displayed with cover art (if you're ID tagging
is correct - if not use Tag&Rename) so it's all very easy to
navigate. Your image library is easy to set up and is a good way to
show your latest holiday snaps. etc.

The only buttons needed are up, down, side to side and enter. At
present I'm using an ir keyboard for control, but I'm looking into
control via a learning remote.

I hope this helps

Magnatizerr

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "wayne" <wayne@p...> wrote:
> Hiya all
> Just a little thing to think about while your sunbathing in the
garden replying to this over your wifi connection :)

> Having just managed to get my TV out to work on my pc (new nVidia
drivers if anyone's got one :) one thing is blazingly obvious, what
to use as an 'interface' to the media playing functions on the pc.

> If any of you have tried using windows on a telly you will soon
realise that the resolution, while ample for films played full
screen, is a bit rubbish for normal window operations - menu
navigation and all. More to it - when the family doesnt have an
interest on pc's at all - how the hell do you get them to use a mouse
and click all over the place, let alown read the screen.

> Therefor - what would be the best way to control such. Idealy you
need big bold text displays/ menus - including file / title browsing
for your media (mp3's avi's etc) and somthing that is, shall we say
SWMBO friendly to use, and idealy with a remote controller rather
than a keyboard. Also the 'interface' would need to support the
ability to fire off the relavent programs for the media being played
(maybe winamp for mp3's, zoom player for videos / dvd's the like) and
if possible custom web pages to spy on your MV1000 :) - Text overlays
etc? the list is endless...